I love being the recipient of homemade baked treats, like this lighter zucchini bread with coconut that Mom dropped by Tuesday afternoon. Rod and I have been enjoying it for breakfast along with a little yogurt and fruit. It would also make a great dessert or snack.
She said that she had been thinking about making zucchini bread for a while and when she saw zucchini on sale during a recent visit to Sprouts knew the time had arrived.
This is definitely one of the lightest, tastiest zucchini breads I think I’ve ever had. She cut back a little on the sugar so it’s not too sweet and though it called for nuts, she substituted coconut instead. You could also bump up the nutrition a bit by substituting whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour for all or part of the all-purpose.
- 2-1/2 cups shredded zucchini (2 – 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottoms only of two 8×4-inch loaf pans with shortening or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir the zucchini, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, lemon zest, cinnamon and baking powder until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in the coconut.
- Divide mixture evenly between the two prepared baking pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, 50-65 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Then loosen the sides of the loaves from the pans and turn the breads out onto wire racks. Turn top side up and allow to cool completely.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Recipes You Might Enjoy