WW Recipe of the Day: Slow Cooker Corn & Shrimp Chowder
(279 calories | *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
This slow cooker corn and shrimp chowder is a winner in my book.
I adapted the recipe slightly from one in Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook: 250 New Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes by Phyllis Good.
The recipe called for 12 ounces of cooked shrimp. I had only about 8 ounces of cooked shrimp in the freezer.
So, I supplemented with about 4 ounces of smoked salmon that was sitting in the fridge needing to be used.
The smoky fish complemented the corn and shrimp nicely in this chowder.
I remember reading somewhere (don’t ask where) that pureeing some of the corn made corn chowder more “corny” tasting.
So I combined about 1/2 the corn and 1 cup of water in my Vitamix blender until it was liquified.
This step is totally optional. So, skip it if it seems like too much work.
Skinny on Slow Cooker Corn and Shrimp Chowder
And I used 2% evaporated milk instead of regular to save a few calories.
The recipe didn’t say when to add the diced cooked bacon, so I added it at the end along with the chives.
I contacted the book’s authors about the oversight and they said they will be sure to fix it before the book goes back to print again.
How’s that for service?
According to my calculations each serving has 279 calories, *7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *8 SmartPoints.
Following the WW Freestyle Plan, this chowder is now *4 Freestyle SmartPoints. I love when that happens to a favorite recipe!
Served with warm crusty bread, this slow cooker corn and shrimp chowder made a satisfying supper that both Rod and I enjoyed.
I will share some of the leftovers with Mom and get her opinion too. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you like this slow cooked corn chowder with shrimp, be sure to check out my other WW Friendly chowder recipes, including Mom’s Maine Corn Chowder, Easy Crock Pot Corn Chowder, Slow Cooker Spicy Seafood Chowder and Slow Cooker Manhattan Clam Chowder
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Shrimp and Corn Chowder, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Corn & Shrimp Chowder Recipe
- 4 slices center cut bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups diced red potatoes or frozen hash browns (I used Yukon golds)
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces cooked and peeled small shrimp
- 12 ounces 2% evaporated milk
- Chopped chives
- Ideal slow cooker size: 3-1/2- to 4-Quart.
- In a small skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain the bacon and set it aside.
- Add the chopped onions to the bacon drippings in the skillet and cook, stirring often, just until they soften.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to the slow cooker. (I used my 4-Quart but a 3-1/2 Quart would be ideal.)
- Add the potatoes, corn, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, pepper and water to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours, until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the shrimp and evaporated milk. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes more.
- Just before serving stir in chives and reserved cooked bacon.
Source: Slightly adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook: 250 New Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes by Phyllis Good.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this slow cooked corn and shrimp chowder, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Turkey Green Chili Chowder
- New England Fish Chowder
- Tuna Cheddar Chowder
- Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
I used the 4-Quart Insert with my Crock-Pot 3-in-1 Slow Cooker to make this slow cooker corn and shrimp chowder. You can check it out on Amazon:
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!