WW Recipe of the Day: Light & Healthy Mushroom Chicken Stir-Fry for Two
(228 calories | 4 2 2 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I have been searching for a basic stir-fry recipe that might be an outline for lots of meat and vegetable combinations. This one fits the bill because it gives just a few steps, can use a variety of groceries and turns out beautifully every time.
Often times, a stir-fry mixes sweet and salty flavors which can taste great, yet add a lot of sodium and calories.
That's where this recipe comes in. If you're a fan of the Mushroom Chicken from Panda Express, I think you'll love this copycat version.
Here I've substituted low-sodium soy sauce and a sugar substitute. This time I tried the Swerve brand and was really impressed by the lack of aftertaste and truly just sweetness of the powder.
All of these features make this Stir-Fry Mushroom Chicken a real winner.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Chicken Mushroom Stir Fry?
According to my calculations, each serving has 228 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
One tip is to freeze the chicken breast for 10 to 15 minutes. You'll still be able to slice through easily and because it's firmer, will be really easy to slice.
Chop the garlic and ginger together to save a step.
A chopped green onion can also be added for additional flavor.
A wok is a really nice tool to have and works great with this. I used to have several and over the years of moving have disposed of every single one! Rest easy as I made this delightful stir fry in a plain non-stick 10-inch skillet. Any frying pan will do just as well.
I used arrowroot starch to coat the chicken and ultimately thicken the sauce a little. Traditional cornstarch used in the same proportions will work just as well.
Read and gather all the ingredients before starting the recipe. The cooking will be much smoother that way. The key to a successful stir-fry is to have all your ingredients prepped and ready before heating your skillet.
Mushroom Chicken Serving Suggestions
Rice is the side dish to serve here, although if you're feeling like pasta, a dish of rice noodles under the chicken or alongside would also be tasty.
Fruit or skinny frozen dessert would be a great cooling finish to the stir fry.
Ways to Use Stir Fry Leftovers
Store any leftovers in a covered container for up to 2 days. When ready for a snack, microwave for about 15 seconds or until just warm.
Note that we ate our bits of leftovers cold and were more than happy.
The veggies can be added to your Asian chicken salad or just top any other greens and crunchy vegetables.
If you've made this Mushroom and Chicken Stir Fry, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Mushroom Chicken Stir-Fry for Two (Panda Express Copycat)
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (8 ounces), cut into ¼-inch long slices
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- 2 teaspoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Swerve sugar replacement (Stevia or equivalent)
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped gingeroot
- 1 teaspoon canola or safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 4 ounces (½ standard package) white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken broth, or water
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, optional
- Place the chicken in a small deep bowl and sprinkle with arrowroot powder. Thoroughly coat the chicken either by hand or with a spoon and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sugar replacement, garlic and ginger.
- Spray and heat a medium sized skillet, or wok, then add the canola oil. Add the chicken and cook, stir frying, for about 2 minutes or until all raw color has disappeared.
- Remove chicken to a plate and stir in the zucchini. Stir fry, turning the zucchini over medium high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir fry one minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon broth or water, cover and cook just until the zucchini is almost crispy tender, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture, chicken and sesame oil. Stir fry for 1 minute or until chicken is totally cooked, hot and firm.
- Stir in the cilantro, if using. Remove from heat and serve.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Stir-Fry Recipes for Weight Watchers:
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir-Fry
- Shrimp Stir-Fry for Two
- WW Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 17 Favorite Skillet and Stir-Fry Recipes
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!