WW Freestyle Recipes: Pizzelle Cookie Cannolis
(151 calories | 4 4 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
As soon as I saw this recipe for WW Pizzelle Cookie Cannoli’s on Youtube, I knew I wanted to try them. All the flavors of a traditional cannoli made lighter and healthier.
Traditional cannoli are Italian pastries that originated on the island of Sicily and are a staple of Sicilian and Italian-American cuisine. Cannoli consist of tube-shaped shells of fried pastry dough, filled with a sweet, creamy filling usually containing ricotta.
If you are a big time cannoli lover like me this is a great WW friendly alternative to traditional cannoli’s made with fried shells. Instead of fried shells they are made using vanilla pizzelle cookies. How clever is that?
How Many Calories & WW Points in Pizzelle Cookie Cannolis?
According to my calculations each one has just 151 calories and 4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
This is a HUGE saving from a traditional Cannoli which has *13 Freestyle SmartPoints according to the WW App.
WW Italian Pizzelle Cookie Cannoli Recipe Notes
These lighter, healthier pizzelle cookie cannolis are super easy to make. You will want to allow the ricotta cheese to drain for at least an hour so will want to plan ahead.
Then you just stir together a few ingredients and spoon into cannoli shells you make by warming pizzelle cookies in the microwave .
Be sure to microwave cookies, one at a time, on a paper plate for 20-30 seconds. Immediately remove warm cookie and while it is warm and pliable, wrap it around a wooden spoon handle or other utensil to form a shell (or carefully shape shells with your hands). Let cool; repeat with remaining cookies.
Spoon or pipe 2 Tbsp filling into each cookie shell; serve immediately.
How do you keep Cannolis from Getting Soggy?
To prevent cannolis from getting soggy, fill the shells just before serving. If you do it too far in advance, the shells are sure to get soggy.
The filling can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator. The unfilled shells may be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two.
Here’s A Video Showing Just How Easy It Is To Make These Pizzelle Cookie Cannolis
WW Pizzelle Cookie Cannolis
- 9 tablespoons part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup lite whipped topping (Cool Whip or Tru-Whip)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon grated orange zest (I used 1 drop orange essential oil instead)
- 1/2 ounce dark chocolate, finely chopped (I used orange infused dark chocolate)
- 4 3- to 4-inch pizzelle cookies
- Line a mesh strainer with a paper coffee filter or piece of cheesecloth and place it over a small bowl. Add the ricotta. Cover with plastic wrap and top with a heavy can. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to drain excess liquid. Discard the liquid.
- To make the filling, in a small bowl, combine the drained ricotta, whipped topping, confectioners sugar, vanilla and orange zest until blended. Gently stir in the finely chopped chocolate and set aside.
- To make the shells, microwave the pizzelle cookies, one at a time, on a paper plate for 20-30 seconds. Immediately remove warm cookie and wrap it around a utensil handle (such as a wooden spoon) to form a shell (or carefully shape shells with your hands). Let cool.
- Spoon or pipe 2 tablespoons of the ricotta filling into each cookie shell and serve immediately so they don't get soggy.
Source: YouTube and WW
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More WW Friendly Italian Desserts You Might Also Like:
- Italian Sesame Seed Cookies
- Skinny Berry Ricotta Tiramisu Parfaits
- Holy Moly Cannoli Cones (Hungry Girl)
- Chocolate Chip Cannoli Cups (Emily Bites)
- Chocolate Chip Cannoli Pinwheels (Drizzle Me Skinny)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!