Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Easy Hamburger Curry (Pakistani Kima) Made Lighter
(185 calories | 4 3 2 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
This recipe for easy hamburger curry (Pakistani Kima) has been a family favorite for ever since I first discovered it years ago in my treasured More-With-Less Cookbook . It is easy to make in a single pot or skillet and everyone loves it, even folks who are not fond of curry. My sister claims she could eat it every day!
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Easy Ground Beef Curry?
According to my calculations, each serving has 185 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
To keep the calories and WW Points low I skipped the recommended 3 tablespoons of butter and opted for extra lean ground beef.
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Easy Hamburger Curry Step-by-Step
Step 1: Gather and Prep all your ingredients:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced ( I used ½ teaspoon granulated garlic instead)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or turkey or vegetarian crumbles, if you prefer)
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder (I used a combination of curry powder and garam masala )
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 1 can (14 -15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 potatoes, diced (I used white potatoes)
- 2 cups frozen peas and/or green beans
Step 2: Cook the meat, onions and garlic.
Coat a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Add the meat, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until it is no longer pink.
Step 3: Add everything else to the pot and simmer, covered until the potatoes are done.
Cooking Notes, Additions and Substitutions
- For the lowest points opt for 95% lean ground beef. You could also use ground turkey or veggie crumbles if you prefer.
- Adjust the seasonings to suit your tastes. I used a combination of mild sweet curry powder and garam masala . Additional chiles, more curry powder, ground turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, etc. would all be nice.
- Be sure to dice your potatoes small so they cook in the allotted time. I used white potatoes but sweet potatoes would be good too.
- Add more vegetables to increase the volume for minimal calories. Green beans, cauliflower, zucchini, corn, carrots, mixed vegetables would all work.
What Should I Serve with Hamburger Curry
- Serve over steamed rice or cauliflower rice to keep your carbs and Weight Watchers Points to a minimum.
- Top with toasted coconut if desired
Ways to Use Leftovers
- Portion out for future quick and easy meals.
- Use to top a baked potato or sweet potato.
- Thin with vegetable or beef broth to make a quick and easy Hamburger Curry Soup
If you've made this Easy Hamburger Curry please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Easy Healthy Hamburger Curry
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or ½ teaspoon granulated garlic)
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 14 -15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen peas or green beans
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coat a large deep skillet with nonstick cooking spray and set it over medium heat. Add the beef, onions and garlic . Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until it is no longer pink.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1 heaping cup): 185 calories, 7g fat, 12g carbs, 4g fiber, 19g protein
Recipe source: Adapted from the More-With-Less Cookbook
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy Ground Beef Recipes for Weight Watchers
- Easy American Hamburger Goulash
- Healthy Slow Cooker Hamburger Stew
- Slim & Healthy Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Slow Cooker Tamale Pie
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!