WW Recipe of the Day: Lightened Up Crock Pot Spinach Spoon Bread Casserole
(172 calories | 5 4 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Deliciously different and so simple to make, this crock pot spinach spoon bread, is a lightened up version of one from the Gooseberry Patch Slow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook that caught my eye.
Having never made spoon bread before, I really wasn’t sure what to expect.
I’d describe it as what I imagine spinach cornbread stuffing would taste like, if there is such a thing. Or a moist spinach-laden corn muffin, if that makes any sense.
The Skinny on Crock Pot Spinach Spoon Bread Made Lighter
The original crock pot spinach spoon bread recipe called for 1/2 cup butter, which I decided to eliminate completely.
In it’s place I used an additional half-cup of cottage cheese and a couple tablespoons of nonfat plain Greek yogurt.
This lightened up low fat crock pot spinach spoon bread made a nice side dish with last night’s dried fruit stuffed pork roast.
I liked it so much I had more warmed up for lunch today. And may have it again for breakfast tomorrow.
How Many Calories & Weight Watchers Points in this Crock Pot Spinach Spoon Bread?
According to my calculations, each serving has 172 calories and
5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
4 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Lightened Up Spinach Spoon Bread, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Crock Pot Spinach Spoon Bread
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 package (5-1/2 to 6-1/2 ounces) cornbread mix
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoon non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 3- to 4-Quart.
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, stir together all the ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover, with the lid slightly ajar to allow moisture to escape.
- Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours or until the edges are golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve this crock pot spinach spoon bread right from the slow cooker, which is what I did. Or you could loosen the edges and bottom with a knife and invert onto plate and cut into wedges, if you prefer.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More WW Friendly Vegetarian Recipes
- Slow Cooker Spinach Lasagna
- Spinach Quiche
- Skinny Artichoke Spinach Baked Pasta
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Corn Casserole
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!