WW Recipe of the Day: Crock Pot Spinach Spoon Bread
(172 calories | *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints)
Deliciously different and so simple to make, this crock pot spinach spoon bread, is a lightened up version of one from the Gooseberry Patch Slow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook that caught my eye.
Having never made spoon bread before, I really wasn’t sure what to expect.
I’d describe it as what I imagine spinach cornbread stuffing would taste like, if there is such a thing. Or a moist spinach-laden corn muffin, if that makes any sense.
The Skinny on Crock Pot Spinach Spoon Bread Made Lighter
The original crock pot spinach spoon bread recipe called for 1/2 cup butter, which I decided to eliminate completely.
In it’s place I used an additional half-cup of cottage cheese and a couple tablespoons of nonfat plain Greek yogurt.
This lightened up low fat crock pot spinach spoon bread made a nice side dish with last night’s dried fruit stuffed pork roast.
I liked it so much I had more warmed up for lunch today. And may have it again for breakfast tomorrow.
According to my calculations, each serving has 172 calories, *4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Lightened Up Spinach Spoon Bread, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Crock Pot Spinach Spoon Bread
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 package (5-1/2 to 6-1/2 ounces) cornbread mix
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoon non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 3- to 4-Quart.
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, stir together all the ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover, with the lid slightly ajar to allow moisture to escape.
- Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours or until the edges are golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve this crock pot spinach spoon bread right from the slow cooker, which is what I did. Or you could loosen the edges and bottom with a knife and invert onto plate and cut into wedges, if you prefer.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this recipe for crock pot spinach spoon bread, you might also like:
- Slow Cooker Spinach Lasagna
- Spinach Quiche
- Skinny Artichoke Spinach Baked Pasta
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Corn Casserole
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!