WW Recipe of the Day: Chocolate Stout Cake with Ganache Icing
(222 calories | *9 WW SmartPoints)
I’ve been meaning to make a chocolate stout cake with ganache icing for several years now.
This St. Patrick’s Day it was finally time.
When I talked to my sister a few days before St. Patrick’s Day she mentioned she was planning to make a chocolate stout cake for an Irish themed dinner over the weekend.
But hers, along with many others on the web, seemed too big and too rich for a Weight Watchers family of two 🙂
Many were large bundt cakes or multi-layer monstrosities calling for tons of butter and sugar, which is not a bad thing when you’re having a party and have lots of folks to share it with.
But, I didn’t.
The Skinny on Single Layer Chocolate Stout Cake
So after checking out a few sources, I came up with a more restrained single layer chocolate stout cake of my own by making several changes to the Best Chocolate Cake Recipe in my old 1972 Betty Crocker Cookbook (affiliate link).
For an extra bit of richness I topped it with a thin layer of creamy holiday-worthy chocolate ganache.
Moist, rich and delicious this stout cake with chocolate ganache icing was the perfect St. Patrick’s Day dessert.
According to my calculations, each slice (1/12th) has about 222 calories, *6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus and *9 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this easy Chocolate Stout Cake, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Chocolate Stout Cake with Ganache Icing Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose or cake flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup stout, such as Guinness
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 7 tablespoons cream
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and Heat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan. (I like to use Baker's Joy Baking Spray with flour.)
- Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl several times, for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally so all the ingredients are well incorporated, for 3 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove the cake from the pan and place right side up on the wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer the cooled cake to a cake plate and spread the top of the cake with chocolate ganache.
- To make the Ganache: Place the chocolate chips in a medium sized heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat just to a boiling. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand, without stirring, for a few minutes. Stir gently, with a spoon or whisk, until smooth. Refrigerate until cooled and thick enough to spread, 3 to 4 hours.
- When the cake and ganache are cool, spread the top of the cake with the ganache.
Recipe source: Betty Crocker Cookbook (affiliate link)
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like chocolate stout cake with chocolate ganache icing, you might also like:
- Skinny Low-Fat Chocolate Cake Recipe Roundup (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Easy Weight Watchers Friendly Chocolate Chip Snack Cake (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Banana Chocolate Swirl Cake (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Baileys Irish Cream Cheese Frosting (SkinnyTaste)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!