WW Recipe of the Day: Low Calorie Blueberry Bran Muffin Tops
(75 calories | 2 2 2 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Enjoy morning muffins but not all the calories and fat the come with your favorite bake shop treat?
I think you'll quickly fall in love with these bran muffin tops. Studded with fresh blueberries and lightly sweetened with a touch of brown sugar, each top has less than 100 calories. While Starbucks blueberry muffin (which is obviously much larger in size), clocks in with 360 calories and 15 (green, blue and purple) myWW SmartPoints.
These simple baked muffin tops stir together in minutes and you can easily swap the blueberries with your favorite fresh fruit. Though I really love the combination of bran and blueberry!
How Many Calories and WW Points in these Muffin Tops?
According to my calculations, each serving has 75 calories and:
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Blueberry Bran Muffin Tops
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, silicone liner or spray with non-stick spray.
Step 3: Add the cereal to a medium bowl and gently crush using your fingertips.
Add the buttermilk, egg white, oil and vanilla and stir until thoroughly combined.
Step 4: In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, brown, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
Step 5: Give the wet mixture another stir before pouring into the dry flour mixture. Mix just until the dry ingredients are absorbed.
Step 6: Gently fold in the blueberries.
Step 7: Divide the batter into 8 mounds spaced evenly on the prepared baking sheet . (I used a little more than 2 tablespoons of batter per mound).
Step 8: Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the muffin tops spring back when gently touched.
Step 9: Allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Marlene says: "A touch of added brown sugar is all it takes here for the perfect sweetness. With less than 1 teaspoon of added sugar in each muffin top, I do not recommend omitting, or switching it."
I think these would also be delicious made with fresh raspberries instead of blueberries.
What to Serve with Blueberry Muffin Tops?
Enjoy at room temperature, or warmed up in the microwave with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Make it a complete breakfast by adding some Greek yogurt and fresh fruit.
If you've made these Low Fat Bran Muffin Tops with Fresh Blueberries, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Blueberry Bran Muffin Tops
- ¾ cup bran flakes cereal
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, silicone liner or spray with non-stick spray.
- Add the cereal to a medium bowl and gently crush using your fingertips. Add the buttermilk, egg white, oil and vanilla and stir to mix well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cinammon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Give the wet mixture another stir before pouring into the dry flour mixture. Mix just until the dry ingredients are absorbed.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter into 8 mounds spaced evenly on the baking sheet (I used a little more than 2 tablespoons of batter per mound).
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the muffin tops spring back when gently touched.
- Allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe source: Eat What You Love Everyday by Marlene Koch
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Light & Healthy Muffin Recipes for Weight Watchers
- Low-Fat Apple Bran Muffins
- Ina's Chunky Banana Bran Muffins
- One-Bowl Coconut Muffins
- Easy Banana Oat Blender Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!