Weight Watchers Recipe of the Day: Lightened Up Slow Cooker Coconut Beef
CLICK HERE FOR MORE EASY & DELICIOUS HEALTHY CROCK POT RECIPES FOR WEIGHT WATCHERS!
Lean cubes of beef stirred together with red curry paste, garlic, ginger, and light coconut milk in the slow cooker and simmered until tender. This lightened-up slow cooker coconut beef recipe caught by eye the minute I ran across it in a recent issue of Woman’s Day. It seemed so quick and easy and sounded like it would by yummy. But, when I checked out the recipe online, the reviews expressed disappointment with its lack of flavor.
I figured I could fix that by increasing the amounts of garlic, ginger, and lime juice and adding a couple of teaspoons of my Pampered Chef Thai Curry Rub seasoning for an extra boost of flavor. These adjustments did the trick for us. (I also substituted green beans for the snap peas, and yellow onion for red, since that’s what was on hand.)
Was it the best slow cooker beef I’ve ever tasted? No. But, considering how easy it was to throw together, served over rice, instead of the suggested noodles, it was a quick and easy weeknight supper we all enjoyed. (The leftovers got eaten too 🙂 )
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons red curry paste (to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Kosher salt
- 1-2 teaspoons Thai red curry seasoning rub (to taste)
- 1-1/2 pounds extra lean stew beef, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 ounces snap peas, sliced crosswise
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- ½ cup fresh cilantro or basil leaves
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- Rice or noodles for serving
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the coconut milk, curry paste, garlic, ginger and ¼ teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle the beef with the Thai red curry seasoning rub and then add it to the slow cooker, stirring to coat the meat with the coconut milk mixture.
- Cook covered, until the meat is tender and easily pulls apart, 6 to 7 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
- to 30 minutes before serving, cook the rice or noodles according to package directions.
- Gently stir the peas, onion and lime juice into the beef mixture and cook until heated 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the beef mixture over the rice or noodles.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, if using and serve with lime wedges if desired.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this post and recipe for lightened up slow cooker coconut beef, check out these links:
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Beef & Mushrooms (Simple Nourished Living)
- Skinny Slow Cooker Italian Style Pot Roast (Simple Nourished Living)
- Barbacoa Beef Recipe – made in a pressure cooker, but easily adapted for the slow cooker (SkinnyTaste)
- Slow Cooker Pepper Steak with Rice (Queen of Points)
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.