Skinny easy healthy banana coconut date muffins; Perfect as part of a light and healthy breakfast or snack. And a wonderful way to use up those very black over-ripe bananas that you end up with every now and again.
There have been 3 over-ripe banana staring at me from the counter for several days, getting more and more black. Yesterday was the day I had a decision to make: either toss them into the trash or do something with them. So, wanting something different than my simple low fat banana bread, I tried to get a little creative and came up with these healthy banana coconut date muffins.
When it’s time to use up leftover bananas, what’s the first thing you think of?
The first things that pop into my head are quick breads and muffins. I’m not sure if that’s because I love them or because they are so easy to stir together. I’m all about maximum reward for minimal effort.
I used a combination of whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour and old fashioned rolled oats. Since the bananas, coconut, and dates all add sweetness, I only used 1/2 cup brown sugar. Sticking with the coconut theme, I used light coconut milk and 3 tablespoons of coconut oil for added moistness and healthy fat.
I sampled one yesterday afternoon, when still warm from the oven. (I definitely think muffins are at the best they day they’re baked) And had another one for breakfast this morning with a little breakfast parfait of greek yogurt, honey, and oranges. Just 20 seconds in the microwave warmed this healthy muffin just enough to give it that fresh-from-the oven taste I love.
If you’re looking for a way to use up those leftover bananas that’s a little out of the ordinary, these muffins are definitely worth trying.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 3 medium, very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- ⅓ cup chopped dates (about 5 large pitted dates)
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or for easy cleanup, line with papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well blended.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, bananas, eggs, coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla until creamy and well blended. Stir in ½ cup of the coconut and the chopped dates.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir together until just blended.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of coconut evenly over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool.
More Banana Recipes I Want to Try from other Blogs & Websites:
Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze (Cooking Light/My Recipes)
Healthy Coconut Banana Bread with orange juice and olive oil (Ambitious Kitchen)
Banana Cake with Coconut Cream Frosting (Eating Well)
Coconut Banana Overnight Baked French Toast (Everyday Maven)
Do you have a favorite way to use up leftover overripe bananas?
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.