Check out these simple and delicious smoked salmon pinwheels.
Pretty impressive, huh?
They are adapted from a recipe that caught my eye as I was thumbing through The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook (Trim and Terrific) looking for an easy appetizer idea to make to take to friends who invited us for dinner last night.
I don’t make appetizers that often and when I do, it’s usually the same simple things – a bowl of mixed nuts, a low-fat dip and something for dunking in it, cheese and crackers or chips and salsa or guacamole – so coming up with the idea for these smoked salmon pinwheels took a fair amount of cookbook searching.
The Skinny on Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
I made several minor changes: substituting whole wheat lavash from Trader Joes for tortillas; chopped green onion for red onion; and adding fresh dill in the spread and as a garnish for the top of each pinwheel.
These smoked salmon pinwheels were really easy to make. You just mix together the smoked salmon spread ingredients, spread it on the lavash…
Roll up like a jelly roll into logs and chill.
Then cut the logs into 3/8-inch thick slices and arrange them on a platter. And if you want, top with a little sprig of fresh dill. That’s all there is to it.
Smoked salmon pinwheels are an easy appetizer I can see myself making again. I think the smoked salmon and cheese mixture would be great spread on crackers, crostini or cucumber slices too.
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (about 5 ounces) light garlic and herb cheese spread (such as Boursin Light)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 whole wheat lavash (about 9 x 12-inches) or 8 flour tortillas (6 to 8-inch)
- Small sprigs of fresh dill for garnish, if desired
- Cut the salmon into small pieces
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and garlic and herb cheese spread, with an electric mixer on low, until creamy.
- Stir in the green onions, capers, dill, lemon juice and smoked salmon until well blended.
- Divided and spread the salmon mixture evenly over each lavash or tortilla.
- Roll each one up tightly like a jelly-roll and secure with a toothpick.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Cut each roll into ⅜-inch thick slices.
- Arrange cut side up on a serving platter.
- Top each pinwheel with a small sprig of fresh dill if desired.
*PointsPlus® for these smoked salmon pinwheels calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked smoked salmon pinwheels you might also like:
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.