l love one-pot meals. That’s probably why I love my slow cooker so much.
This slow cooker chicken thighs recipe is based on a more involved cider-braised chicken thighs with sweet potatoes and sage recipe I came upon recently. The original recipe looked delicious but required quite a bit more work – browning chicken in batches, cooking shallots and garlic, combining the liquids and deglazing your pan and then braising (cooking in liquid) everything on the stove top until done. Nothing terribly difficult, but I was feeling lazy yesterday and wanted something easier.
So I decided to experiment and combine all the ingredients in my slow cooker instead. It turned out delicious. A nice comforting dish full of lots of fall flavors including sweet potatoes, apples and sage. Perfect for a weeknight dinner when you want something easy and effortless.
This would be delicious served with crusty bread to sop up all the flavorful sauce.
The original recipe says that this meal serves 6, but my guys easily ate 2 servings each, so if you’re making this dinner for bigger eaters, plan on feeding 3 to 4.
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 8 large shallots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Layer the seasoned chicken in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add the sweet potatoes and shallots to the slow cooker.
- In bowl or measuring cup, stir together the garlic, chicken broth, apple cider, vinegar, thyme, sage and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and pour over the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3-1/2 hours or on low for about 6 hours. (Mine was done after about 4 hours on high, so I switched my slow cooker to warm until we were ready to eat.)
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings. I added a little more salt, pepper and another teaspoon of vinegar at the end to liven it up.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this cider braised chicken thighs recipe, you might also like:
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs wit Beer and Herbes de Provence
Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
Skinny & Delicious Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken
Low Fat Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Osso Buco
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.