This borscht recipe caught my eye as I was scanning one of my favorite cookbooks of the moment, Simply in Season: Recipes that celebrate fresh, local foods in the spirit of More-with-Less.
Having never made or even tasted borscht before, I had no preconceived ideas about what ingredients it should contain.
Usually, this leads me to an exhaustive comparison of borscht soup recipes from various cookbooks and the internet as I attempt to deduce which one would be best (and lose several valuable hours in the process).
But as I continue to simplify my life, I decided to skip all that time and effort, trust that the recipe before me would be delicious and it was!
It’s not to say there are not lots of other delicious recipes for borscht out there or that I won’t try a different variation next time, but for today this was perfect with only 5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving!
It makes 8 servings of winter borscht that is simple and satisfying on a cold day.
Winter Borscht Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ pound boneless beef or chicken cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- ½ head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup peeled chopped beets, beet stems or beet greens
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill or 2 tablespoons dried
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- ½ cup fresh chopped chives (optional)
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the beef and onion and cook until the meat has browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the water, broth, potatoes, cabbage, beets, carrots, barley, bay leaves, dried dill (if using), salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. If using beet greens and fresh dill, wait and add in the next step.
- Add the beet greens and fresh dill, if using and parsley. Simmer until the barley is cooked and meat is tender, another 10 to 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
More borscht recipes from the web…
- Ina Garten’s Summer Borscht
- Genuine Ukrainian Borscht
- Martha Stewart’s Ukrainian Borscht
- Beet Borscht Recipe from Taste of Home
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.