Slow Cooker Stuffed Eggplant
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, chopped (I used red)
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 6 tablespoons Italian-style dried bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the turkey with the chopped onion and garlic. Adding a good sprinkling of salt and pepper as it's cooking.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller, scoop out eggplant flesh, leaving about ½" border around each one.
- Chop eggplant flesh and add to turkey, along with the chopped pepper.
- Cook until eggplant and peppers soften, stirring frequently.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in bread crumbs and yogurt. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding a little salt and pepper, if you think it needs it.
- Spoon turkey mixture into halved eggplant. Place stuffed eggplant halves into large oval crock pot that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Top each half with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2-4 hours, until eggplant is tender.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1/4th): 321 calories, 10.5 g fat, 28.7 g carbs, 11 g fiber, 31.1 g protein and *8 Weight Watchers Points Plus
Recipe by Simple Nourished Living at http://simple-nourished-living.com/2014/03/slow-cooker-stuffed-eggplant/