Savory Slow Cooker Brown Rice and Lentils
Author: Simple Nourished Living
Recipe type: Main
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- ½ cup uncooked wild rice
- ½ cup uncooked green lentils
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots (2 medium or a big handful of baby ones)
- ¾ cup chopped green onions (8 to 12)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅓ cup finely chopped parsley
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together everything except the parsley in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 hours or until the rice and vegetables are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the parsley just before serving.
- To prevent overcooking, do not let this slow cooker brown rice and lentils sit in the slow cooker on warm. As soon as it's done transfer it out of the slow cooker insert into a large serving bowl.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1-1/3 cups): 330 calories, 9 g fat, 51 g fiber, 9 g fiber, 12 g protein and *8 Weight Watchers points plus
Recipe by Simple Nourished Living at http://simple-nourished-living.com/2014/02/savory-slow-cooker-brown-rice-and-lentils/