Slow Cooker Breakfast Barley with Orange Juice and Fruit
Author: Simple Nourished Living
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1⅔ cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- ⅔ cup pearl barley
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dried apricot halves, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2-Quart
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the orange juice, water, barley, cranberries, apricots, dates, apple, allspice and nuts in your slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the barley is tender and has absorbed the liquid. (It may appear a little thin, but will thicken up considerably as it cools a bit.)
- Serve warm.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1/2 cup): 167 calories, 2.1 g fat, 33.3 g carbs, 5.6 g fiber, 3.7 g protein and *4 Points Plus
Recipe by Simple Nourished Living at http://simple-nourished-living.com/2014/02/slow-cooker-breakfast-barley/