Slow Cooker Saint Nicholas Soup
Author: Simple Nourished Living
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large turnip, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- half a medium green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup cream
- croutons, for serving, if desired
- ⅓ cup, minced fresh dill, or parsley if desired
- I used my 6-Quart slow cooker.
- Add the vegetables, salt, bay leaves, thyme, pepper and water to your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Turn your slow cooker to warm.
- With an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup to the desired consistency, as coarse or smooth as you like (You can also do this in a blender or food processor, in batches).
- Stir in the cream and adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Ladle the hot soup into serving bowls and add a few herbed croutons and sprinkling of chopped fresh dill or parsley, if desired.
Nutrition Estimates Per Serving (1-1/2 cups): 116 calories, 1.1 g fat, 24.9 g carbs, 4.9 g fiber, 2.9 g protein and 3 Points Plus
Recipe by Simple Nourished Living at http://simple-nourished-living.com/2013/12/slow-cooker-saint-nicholas-soup/