Mom's Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
Author: Simple Nourished Living
Recipe type: Soup
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1 pound)
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into thin slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- ¾ cup Mexican style shredded reduced fat cheese
- Cilantro and lime wedges, for serving, if desired.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. (preferably 4- or 5-Quart)
- Add the carrots, onion, chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from the slow cooker. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop the chicken and then stir it back into the soup.
- Crush the chips coarsely.
- To serve, place in bowls and top with tortilla chips and cheese.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges, if desired
Nutrition Estimates Per Serving (1 cup soup with 2 heaping tablespoons crushed chips and 1 scant tablespoon cheese ): 290 calories, 15 g fat, 26 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 14 g protein and *8 Points
Recipe by Simple Nourished Living at http://simple-nourished-living.com/2013/12/moms-crock-pot-chicken-tortilla-soup-with-black-beans/