Caribbean Crock Pot Pepper Pot Soup
Author: Simple Nourished Living
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef (I used boneless short ribs)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef cubes and cook, until meat is browned on all sides, 5 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat to your slow cooker.
- (I used my Ninja 3-in-1 cooker so I could brown the meat and then slow cook the soup all in the same pan. A 6 to 7-Quart slow cooker should work.)
- Add the garlic, sweet potatoes, onions, stock, water, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours (or on HIGH for 3-1/2 to 5 hours), or until the vegetables and beef are tender.
- About 20 minutes before serving time, increase the slow cooker to HIGH. Stir in the red pepper, green pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Note: If the soup is ready before you are, reduce the slow cooker temperature to WARM. This will keep it warm without overcooking it.
Nutrition Estimates Per Serving (1-1/2 cups): 303 calories, 6 g fat, 33 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein and *7 Points Plus
Recipe by Simple Nourished Living at http://simple-nourished-living.com/2013/10/caribbean-crock-pot-pepper-pot-soup/