This Italian skinny sausage pasta with vegetables recipe is one of my all-time favorites. It’s adapted from the great cookbook, Jacques Pepin’s Kitchen: Cooking With Claudine, that was also a fun television show on PBS years ago, back in the pre-FoodNetwork days.
I first made this easy Italian skinny sausage pasta dish for my brother back in the late 1990s. He gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up and it’s been in my files ever since.
Skinny on Skinny Sausage Pasta with Vegetables
You can adapt this recipe to suit your tastes and what you’ve got available. I love the combination of corn, broccoli and grape tomatoes, but green beans and/or zucchini would delicious too. To save on fat, calories and keep this Weight Watchers friendly, I usually opt for Italian style chicken or turkey sausage whenever I can. And lately I’ve been using whole wheat pasta too.
According to my calculations, each generous serving has 341 calories and 9 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. Enjoy!
- 6 ounces Italian turkey sausage
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces tube-shaped pasta such as ziti or penne
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups corn (fresh, canned, or thawed frozen)
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Red pepper flakes for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt to the water, and cook the pasta until it's al dente. Before draining the pasta, reserve ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Meanwhile break apart the sausage into small pieces and cook in 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saute pan until nicely browned (about 10 minutes or so).
- While the pasta is cooking and sausage is browning, rinse your broccoli florets and halve any of the tomatoes that are especially large.
- Once the sausage has browned, add the broccoli and garlic to the pan, stir to combine everything and then reduce the heat, cover the pan and let cook for about 5 minutes. Add the corn and tomatoes, cooking covered for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta, reserved pasta water, salt and remaining olive oil. Stir to combine everything over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Alternatively, you can dump everything into the pasta pot to combine if your saute pan isn't quite large enough.
- Turn out to a warmed pasta bowl and serve with grated parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes, if you like.
Source: adapted from Jacques Pepin’s Kitchen: Cooking With Claudine (Jacques Pepin’s Kitchen (Television Program).)
I love pasta. It’s one of my favorite dishes. But the way I enjoy pasta has evolved through the years. As a lifetime Weight Watchers member I’ve learned to load it up with vegetables and/or protein to make it more filling. Here are some of my favorites:
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!