(Easy Healthy Crock Pot Recipe #212 – Easy Slow Cooker Applesauce Spice Cake)
Since Martha has been having such a good time making baked goods in her slow cooker, I figured it was time for me to give it a try.
I do love to bake, but I’ve only ever used an oven.
I’ve decided that my initial attempt to bake with my slow cooker should be something really easy, like this applesauce spice cake.
I found the recipe in Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2 and it didn’t look too complicated. Plus, I actually had all the ingredients, so that always helps
Well, if all goes well, we’ll end up with a nice and moist, lightly spiced applesauce cake that we can enjoy for dessert or as a mid-day snack.
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Applesauce Spice Cake
This recipe makes a relatively small cake that is supposed to serve 6. I figured it’ll be perfect then for 2 – with plenty leftover for snacking later on.
Each serving (1/6th) of the cake has 271 calories and 7* WW PointsPlus.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Confectioners' sugar
- Grease 6-inch springform pan and then line with parchment paper. Add about 2 cups (1/2 inch deep) water to slow cooker and place aluminum foil rack in bottom of crock.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, applesauce, egg, vanilla and salt until smooth and lump-free. Slowly whisk in melted butter until well mixed.
- Stir flour mixture into moist applesauce mixture, just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared springform pan and smooth top with spatula. Lightly tap filled cake pan on counter to eliminate any air pockets.
- Set cake pan on aluminum rack in slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours, until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from crock and cool completely on wire rack, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Run small knife around edge of cake to loosen from pan, then remove pan from cake. Remove cake pan bottom and toss out parchment paper.
- Transfer cake to serving dish and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, slice and serve.
As expected, the cake was dense and very moist. It was dense because I used whole wheat pastry flour in place of the all-purpose flour that is called for in the recipe.
I did have a couple of (relatively minor) issues while cooking this cake. I decided to use my Ninja for this and didn’t really take into account that it seems the Ninja may cook a little hotter than traditional crock pots.
I asked Martha about this and she thinks it’s because the Ninja has a metal insert – as opposed to the stoneware used in most, if not all slow cookers. It seems the metal insert probably heats quicker and cooks faster as a result.
The other issue had to do with soggy paper towels that came into contact with the top of the cake and I had to peel off (shown above), which kind of ruined it.
But only visually, it still tasted really good. And this little mishap was easily overcome with a sprinkle of powdered sugar before serving 😉
I guess I either didn’t use enough paper towels to absorb all the moisture under the lid, or I didn’t place them properly.
Again, I asked Martha and she recommended that I double (or even triple) them up next time.
So, we enjoyed the taste of this slow cooker applesauce cake and certainly want to try to do more baking.
Next time though, I think I’ll use my regular slow cooker, until I get more comfortable with my Ninja.
*PointsPlus® for this easy slow cooker applesauce spice cake calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!