(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 156)
Deliciously different and so simple to make, this crock pot spinach spoon bread, is a lightened up version of one from the Gooseberry Patch Slow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook that caught my eye.
Having never made spoon bread before, I really wasn’t sure what to expect.
I’d describe it as what I imagine spinach cornbread stuffing would taste like, if there is such a thing. Or a moist spinach laden corn muffin if that makes any sense.
The original crock pot spinach spoon bread recipe called for 1/2 cup butter, which I decided to eliminate completely.
In it’s place I used an additional half-cup of cottage cheese and couple tablespoons of nonfat plain Greek yogurt.
This lightened up crock pot spinach spoon bread made a nice side dish with last night’s dried fruit stuffed pork roast.
I liked it so much I had more warmed up for lunch today. And may have it again for breakfast tomorrow.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 package (5-1/2 to 6-1/2 ounces) cornbread mix
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoon nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 3 to 4-Quart
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, stir together all the ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover, with the lid slightly ajar to allow moisture to escape.
- Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours or until the edges are golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve this crock pot spinach spoon bread right from the slow cooker, which is what I did. Or you could loosen the edges and bottom with a knife and invert onto plate and cut into wedges, if you prefer.
If you liked this recipe for crock pot spinach spoon bread you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for crock pot spinach spoon bread calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Today’s food for thought…
“I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took any excuse.”
~ Florence Nightingale
Do you have a favorite motivational quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!