As I was stirring together the ingredients for this savory slow cooker brown rice and lentils, it dawned on me just how much my eating habits have changed over the past several years.
As soon as I saw the recipe in Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes, my most recent GoodWill cookbook bargain, I knew I wanted to try it.
A few years ago I wouldn’t have given a recipe featuring brown rice, wild rice, mushrooms and lentils a second look. And I started to giggle when I realized that I now just might be one of those Lifetime Weight Watchers members I used to admire: A woman who bounced into a meeting once a month and confidently stepped onto the scale at or below goal, declaring, “This is my new normal.”
Eating the light, healthy, delicious food that I make these days feels just as natural to me now as stuffing myself full of jumbo Costco muffins, Cheez-Its, Whoppers, french fries, nachos, all-you-can-eat Chinese food, and pints of Ben & Jerry once did
And I soooo wish I could reach out and tell everyone who is struggling with their weight and working to develop healthier habits to just stick with it. Don’t stop. Don’t give up. It’s a process that takes time and patience. You’ll get there too if you just keep working at it!! If this lazy food lover can do it, anyone can
I had a feeling I was going to love this slow cooker brown rice and lentils. But it was a pleasant surprise to discover that Rod really liked it too.
Skinny on Savory Slow Cooker Brown Rice and Lentils
In the recipe’s headnotes, Betty says that “This savory slow cooker brown rice and lentils is a great starter recipe if you are new to whole grains. Using a slow cooker is a terrific way to prepare them because some grains take a while to cook.”
Hearty, flavorful, and satisfying, this recipe for slow cooker brown rice and lentils makes 8 cups, enough for 6 generous 1-1/3 cup main dish servings with 330 calories and *8 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
We’ve been enjoying it as a side dish. Last night it was perfect served with broiled salmon and a simple Asian slaw.
Next time I’ll probably make a half batch in my 2-Quart slow cooker to cut down on the leftovers. Or plan to freeze some of it in individual ZipLock bags for quick and easy lunches.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- ½ cup uncooked wild rice
- ½ cup uncooked green lentils
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots (2 medium or a big handful of baby ones)
- ¾ cup chopped green onions (8 to 12)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅓ cup finely chopped parsley
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together everything except the parsley in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 hours or until the rice and vegetables are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the parsley just before serving.
- To prevent overcooking, do not let this slow cooker brown rice and lentils sit in the slow cooker on warm. As soon as it's done transfer it out of the slow cooker insert into a large serving bowl.
Source: slightly adapted from Betty Crocker Whole Grains: Easy Everyday Recipes
*PointsPlus® for savory slow cooker brown rice and lentils calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Today’s food for thought…
“The sovereign invigorator of the body is exercise, and of all the exercises walking is the best.”
~ Thomas Jefferson
And weight loss tip…
“Avoid going more than 3-4 hours without having something small to eat.”
~ Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think
Do you have a favorite motivational quote and/or weight loss tip? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!