(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 121)
The second biggest eating holiday after Thanksgiving, Super Bowl Sunday, is almost here.
Do you have a plan for enjoying the day and indulging in your favorite foods without getting crazy?
Did you know that Superbowl Sunday is the top pizza sales day of the year?
I love pizza. It’s one of my favorite foods. But, it’s one of my trigger foods that I usually end up overeating.
So, I thought it would be fun to try out a slow cooker pizza fondue that would allow me to enjoy all the flavors of pizza with a lot fewer calories and points.
There are lots of recipes for slow cooker pizza fondue or pizza dip. Most tend to be really heavy on the cheese, not a bad thing, but I decided to go with one that was heavy on the tomato sauce.
The mozzarella cheese didn’t completely melt even after 3 hours and lots of stirring, probably because it was low fat, but the flavor was yummy.
You can serve this slow cooker pizza fondue with all kinds of dippers. Chunks of warm crusty Italian bread, bread sticks, mozzarella sticks, and raw veggies like, broccoli, cauliflower and celery would all work well.
- 1 jar (26 to 29 ounces) low fat, slow sodium meatless marinara sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese (I used part-skim instead)
- ¼ cup shredded reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons oregano (I used Italian seasoning instead)
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- For serving: Cubes of Italian bread, breadsticks, raw cauliflower florets, broccoli florets, celery sticks, etc.
- Ideal Slow Cooker: 2 to 3-Quart.
- Lightly grease your slow cooker.
- Put the sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, oregano, onion, and garlic powder in the slow cooker. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW 3 hours, or until the sauce is hot and cheese is mostly melted. (Because the cheese is nonfat, it probably won’t completely melt.)
- Serve with Bread cubes and/or vegetables for dipping.
Possible additions: sliced black olives, chopped bell pepper, chopped mushrooms
Source: adapted slightly from Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
If you liked slow cooker pizza fondue you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for Slow Cooker Pizza Fondue calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.