Why I Love Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique

I love the Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique.

I think it’s one of the reasons I’ve been able to maintain my weight loss so easily.

If you want to lose weight and get healthy, I don’t think there’s a better approach than “Simply Filling.”

I was able to use what I learned from Simply Filling as a launching pad to becoming a ‘normal eater.’

Are you familiar with the Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique?

Basically, you eat Weight Watchers Power Foods – lean meat, chicken, fish, whole grains, beans, fruits, vegetables – until you FEEL SATISFIED, NOT STUFFED.  You don’t have to measure your food. You don’t have to count or track PointsPlus. You just have to stick with eating Power Foods.

Talk about simple.

It doesn’t get much simpler than The Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique.

You can follow ‘Simply Filling’ for a day, a few days, a week or all the time. Whatever works for you.

Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique

Why I love Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique

What are Weight Watchers Power Foods?

Weight Watchers Power Foods Include:

Fruits

• All fresh, frozen, or canned without added sugar
  • Fruit canned in its own juice (drained)
  • Mixed fruits with no added sugar

Vegetables

• Most fresh, frozen or canned without added sugar or oil
  • Potatoes — white, red, sweet

Lean proteins

• Beef, chicken, lamb, pork, turkey, veal: lean, trimmed, all skin removed (see food list for specific cuts and grinds)
  • Dried beans
  • Dried peas
  • Eggs: Whole, whites, and fat-free substitute
  • Game meats
  • Lentils
  • Meat substitutes, including tofu and vegetarian burgers
  • Most fish and shellfish: fresh, frozen, and canned
  • Organ meats from beef, lamb, pork, veal, and poultry

Whole grains

• Brown and wild rice
  • Hot cereals, cooked — without added sugar, dried fruits, or nuts
  • Pasta, whole-wheat or other whole-grain varieties
  • Popcorn, air-popped, or 94% fat-free microwave-popped
  • Whole-grain, ready-to-eat cereals without added sugar, dried fruits or nuts, and with 4g of fiber or more per serving
  • Whole-grains such as: barley, buckwheat, bulgur, cornmeal (polenta) whole-wheat couscous, quinoa

Non-Fat Dairy and Dairy Substitutes

• Fat-free cheeses, including fat-free cottage cheese
  • Fat-free milk and beverages made with fat-free milk, such as cappuccino or latte, as long as it’s sugar-free
  • Yogurt, fat-free, plain or flavored with artificial sweetener
  • Fat-free sour cream
  • Soy products, unflavored and plain, such as:
  • Calcium-fortified soy milk
  • Unflavored soy milk
  • Fat-free soy cheese
  • Plain soy yogurt

Plus

• Light breads, english muffins and hotdog/hamburger rolls
  • Soups (broth, onion, and some broth- and tomato-based vegetable soups)
  • Sugar-free gelatin

Is There Anything Else To Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique?

1. You also can enjoy the following without tracking:

• 2 teaspoons of healthy oils daily (canola, olive, safflower, sunflower, flaxseed)
  • Unsweetened coffee and tea
  • Steak sauce
  • Sugar substituts
  • Taco sauce
  • Teriyaki sauce
  • Vinegar
  • Worcestershire sauce

2.  You still get your 49 weekly PointsPlus. You can use them for treats and things not on the Power Foods List or the above beverages and condiments list.

3. You continue to earn, and swap, activity PointsPlus values.

Why I Love the Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique

1. For me, Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique was a stepping stone to becoming a ‘normal eater.’ I used it to help me reconnect with my body’s natural hunger and satisfied signals. It didn’t happen overnight. But with time, practice and patience, I have trained myself to stop eating when I am satisfied, not stuffed. This is a huge accomplishment for a girl who used to have to undo the button(s) on her pants or change into sweatpants at the end of most meals!

2. It helped me learn how to nourish my body with ‘real’ ‘whole’ foods. Power Foods are the good-for-you foods. The foods your body really wants. When you eat them, your body is satisfied.  You have more energy. You feel less hungry.

If I had tried to eat when I was hungry and stop when I was full with my old way of eating I would have failed. I ate a lot of very refined carbohydrates – breads, bagels, pasta, pancakes – which would have constantly been creating ‘fake physical hunger.’

What is ‘fake physical hunger?’

It’s an intense feeling of I Must Eat Now with very powerful cravings that happens when too much insulin fills your bloodstream to deal with all the sugar you fed it.

For me, this happens regularly about an hour after eating a sugar or simple carb heavy meal.

When I eat a big bagel or sugary cereal for breakfast. Or a big plate of pasta. A short time later, get shaky and fuzzy-headed with a pit in my stomach that seems like it needs to be filled right this minute.

After being on Simply Filling, I was able to make the connection and realize what was happening. Realizing how awful these foods make me feel when I eat them in large doses, makes them a whole lot less attractive to my taste buds. I sometimes forget, like when I ate too much cake a few weeks ago. But that’s okay. I’m human.

3. Successful Weight Maintenance. Now I’m able to apply what I learned to ALL FOODS, not just Power Foods. By combining what I learned from The Simply Filling Technique and Mindless Eating, I have been able to break free of the vicious extreme restraint/over-indulgence cycle and am successfully maintaining my weight.

What do you think about the Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique?

Here’s a link to my Weight Watchers Simply Filling Recipes.

If you liked reading about the Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique, you might also enjoy:

What was the Weight Watcher’s Program Like in the 1960s
The Weight Watchers 360 Program

Source: Weight Watchers

If this is your first time visiting Simple Nourished Living – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join me on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest or sign up to have my recipes and posts delivered by email. I’m always sharing easy, practical ideas for living happy, healthy and slim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

I have been life time WW member for 2 years and a member for 3 years. I find myself gaining weight because, I am tired of tracking. I have never tried or understood the simply filling plan until I read this article, it was very helpful

2. Judy says

I just began using the Simply Filling Plan on Weight Watchers yesterday. I joined a month ago, but kept getting messed up when a “best guess” at a restaurant or party turned out to be a whole lot of points different than I thought. The idea of mainly eating those foods that are most nourishing and filling 99% of the time and TRACKING what I always thought of as “cheats” (so that I don’t go too overboard) makes incredible sense to me.

• says

Judy, the Simply Filling plan really makes a lot of sense too. I think it gets us thinking about eating in a healthier, more balanced way. It’s been magical for me! I like that the new WW Simple Start is having everyone kick off their Weight Watchers experience with Simply Filling in 2014!

3. says

Martha, thanks for all your wonderful recipes I know it takes a lot of time, I plan to start the simply filling plan next week. One question, is all the recipes you post simply filling? Thanks again for all your hard work, without pepole like you

Plan to start simply filling monday, are all the recipes you post simply filling? Thanks for all your hard work to help with our weight loss.

• says

Margaret, Good for you for giving simply filling a try! Unfortunately, all the recipes here are NOT simply filling. I do have a category, in the right column for those recipes that are. Hope this helps. Stop back and let me know how it goes for you!!

4. Ramani says

Very happy to have just found your site and blog. :)

I’m about to start Simply Filling for the first time tomorrow. Truth be told, I am not sure if it is for me. Counting points really keep me accountable and my problem is I eat too many carbs!

So while I LOVE that whole grain pasta is allowed on SF, I dont see how I am supposed to lose weight eating pasta for dinner. I will probably have more than I should and this is what I dont understand, why it is allowed.

• says

Hi Ramani,

Thanks for stopping by and best of luck with Simply Filling! We are all different and there is no one way to lose weight. We have to always be doing what is best for us. After years of struggle I have come to understand that I was overweight because I ate TOO MUCH and I tended to vacillate between periods of extreme restriction and overindulgence and so struggled to lose weight and keep it off. The key to lasting weight loss and maintenance is to learn to eat in a way that you can see yourself doing forever. For me this means learning to eat when I am hungry and stop when I have had enough. That is what Simply Filling is designed to help with. Instead of counting and measuring, you learn to work with your body and nourish it with mostly real food and then use your 49 extra weekly points for little splurges and indulgences.
      Just because a food is on the approved list doesn’t mean it’s right for everyone. Eggs are on the list, but if someone is allergic to eggs, of course they are not going to eat them. If pasta is a trigger/danger food for you, I think the question to as yourself is “eating pasta helping or hindering my weight loss efforts?” If it’s a problem for you, then don’t eat it, or limit yourself to once a week.
      It’s about knowing yourself and doing what you need to do to support your goals.
      Hope this helps.
      Best of luck!

5. Carole says

Hi Martha. I just started SF. Your page has been helpful, thank you. I do have a question. Can you tell me what yogurt I can have. I purchased Dannon light and fit. I just noticed that it’s not artificially sweetned. Thank you. :)

• says

Hi Carole,

I weaned myself onto plain Greek yogurt a few years back (which isn’t for everyone, I realize) so I’m not sure which brands meet the SF requirements. I would say your best bet is to read the ingredients list. Artificially sweetened ones will have aspartame or sucralose listed in the ingredients. Hope this helps :-)

6. Gina says

The picture of the dish at the top of this article looks delicious. Is this recipe posted on your page somewhere? This article was very helpful. I’m trying one of your recipes today. :)

• says

Thanks, Gina. No, unfortunately, the recipe for the dish at the top of the page isn’t posted on the site. It’s basically just chicken and vegetables roasted together in the oven with your favorite seasonings.

7. Melissa says

I’m so glad to read this article! Thank you! I just started ww Friday and I love the simple start and I think I want to continue with the simply filling. I already feel more focused and in control. I’m not longing for sweets anymore either. I like the basic approach because I’m not constantly required to “decide” about a food option. Good to know it has worked for others!

• says

Hi Melissa,

I’m so glad my article helped. Congrats on joining WW! It’s such a great program. And I think Simply Filling is the way to go. It really helps you focus on eating healthier and you always have the 49 points for little indulgences! Best of Luck. Would love to hear more about how it goes for you.