Here’s a quick and easy last minute 4th of July dessert idea that doesn’t require getting near the stove: red white and blue fruit skewers.
Of course, they would be perfect for Memorial Day too!
Just thread fruit and other selected ingredients on bamboo skewers in pretty alternating patterns. Voila, a fun and festive dessert that will please young and old alike. (What is it about food on a stick, anyway?)
You can customize your red white and blue fruit skewers with whatever fruit and other ingredients you have on hand. I used blueberries, strawberries, banana slices, mini marshmallows and cubes of leftover Madeira cake, combining them in different ways.
Raspberries, seedless red grapes, and cubes of watermelon or angel food cake would all work well too.
Keep your red white and blue fruit skewers ultra Weight Watchers Friendly by making them with just fruit for a PointsPlus value of 0. (I used strawberries, blueberries and banana slices)
Or sweeten them up a bit with the addition of a few mini marshmallows.
Or indulge a bit with little cubes of cake and a light lemon cheesecake dip.
Skinny on Red White and Blue Fruit Skewers
I wanted a dip to go with these fun red white and blue fruit skewers.
Then I remember the leftover lemon curd cheese spread I had in the fridge. (That I made for my strawberry dessert bruschetta.)
I created a light creamy dip by stirring in a little vanilla Greek yogurt. It tasted like lemon cheesecake with only 1 Points Points Plus per tablespoon 🙂 (Am I the only one who gets a thrill out of turning leftovers into something new and tasty?)
Another nice thing about these fruit skewers is that you can make as few or as many as you need. Assemble them ahead and then cover and refrigerate them until you’re ready to serve.
According to my calculations, 5 mini marshmallows have 10 calories. That means the fruit and marshmallow skewers are also 0 Points Plus per serving!
The skewers made with fruit and two cubes of leftover Madeira cake have 2 Points Plus. (Each cube of cake has 1 Points Plus.)
- Bamboo skewers
- Strawberries, cut up into halves or quarters depending on their size
- Bananas, sliced
- Mini marshmallows
- Slice(s) of pound cake, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces light tub-style cream cheese, at room temperature (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons jarred lemon curd
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek vanilla yogurt
- Thread your ingredients onto the bamboo skewers, alternating them in fun patterns and combinations.
- Note: If using marshmallows, it's best to slide on a piece of fruit prior to a marshmallow to help lubricate the skewer and prevent the marshmallow from making the skewer sticky.
- To make the dip, beat together the cream cheese, lemon curd and yogurt until light and creamy. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
*PointsPlus® for red white and blue fruit skewers calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.