Here’s a quick and easy last minute 4th of July dessert idea that doesn’t require getting near the stove: red, white and blue fruit kebabs.
Just thread fruit and other selected ingredients on bamboo skewers in pretty alternating patterns and voilÃ , a fun and festive dessert that will please young and old alike. (What is it about food on a stick, anyway?)
You can customize your fruit kebabs with whatever fruit and other ingredients you have on hand. I used blueberries, strawberries, banana slices, mini marshmallows and cubes of leftover Madeira cake, combining them in different ways.
Raspberries, seedless red grapes, and cubes of watermelon or angel food cake would all work well too.
You can keep your kebabs ultra Weight Watchers Friendly by making them with just fruit (I used strawberries, blueberries and banana slices) giving them a PointsPlus value of 0.
Or sweeten them up a bit with the addition of a few mini marshmallows. (According to my calculations, 5 mini marshmallows has 10 calories, which would still keep them at 0 unless you got carried away!
The skewers made with fruit and two cubes of leftover Madeira cake have a PointsPlus value of 2 since each cube of cake has a value of 1.
I wanted a dip to go with these fun red, white and blue fruit kebabs and immediately thought of the leftover lemon curd cheese spread I had in the fridge. By adding some nonfat Greek vanilla yogurt, I was able to create a light creamy dip that reminded me of lemon cheesecake with only 1 PointsPlus per tablespoon! (Am I the only one who gets a thrill out of turning leftovers into something new and tasty?)
Another nice thing about these fruit kebabs is that you can make as few or as many as you need. Assemble them ahead and then cover and refrigerate them until you’re ready for them.
- Bamboo skewers
- Strawberries, cut up into halves or quarters depending on their size
- Bananas, sliced
- Mini marshmallows
- Slice(s) of pound cake, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces light tub-style cream cheese, at room temperature (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons jarred lemon curd
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek vanilla yogurt
- Thread your ingredients onto the bamboo skewers, alternating them in fun patterns and combinations.
- Note: If using marshmallows, it’s best to slide on a piece of fruit prior to a marshmallow to help lubricate the skewer and prevent the marshmallow from making the skewer sticky.
- To make the dip, beat together the cream cheese, lemon curd and yogurt until light and creamy. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.