Muffins are one of my favorite breakfast splurges. But I feel better when I go light on the fat and sugar in the morning. So, I’m always on the lookout for light and healthy versions, like these Low Fat Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins.
I spotted these easy healthy muffins in Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight with 433 Foods You Crave!, a great cookbook on loan from Mom.
Skinny on Low Fat Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
I decided to make a half batch (6 muffins). Brimming with juicy blueberries and luscious lemon flavor, it’s the streusel topping that really makes them special.
You can find the recipe for a full batch of these low fat lemon blueberry oatmeal muffins at Taste of Home.
A great healthy grab-and-go breakfast or snack, each muffin has just 166 calories, 4 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries**
- ¼ cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until well combined. In another bowl stir together the egg, milk, melted butter, lemon peel and vanilla until well blended. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Coat 6 muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners. Evenly distribute the batter amongst the 6 muffin cups. Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over the batter in the muffin cups.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 20 to 24 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the muffins rest in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before storing or enjoy while still a little warm.
- **If using frozen blueberries, don't thaw them before adding to the batter.
Source Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight with 433 Foods You Crave!
*PointsPlus® for low fat lemon blueberry oatmeal muffins calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked these low fat lemon blueberry oatmeal muffins, you might also like: