Can you believe it’s the first Friday of July already? Where did the first half of 2013 go? Time seems to be passing at an ever-increasing pace, which makes me appreciate my time in the kitchen when I slow down and get absorbed in the process of cooking and baking all the more.
A few months back I joined a group of bloggers who are devoting the first Friday of each month to the recipes of Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, whom I must admit I adore.
This month’s topic was “dessert” or “other.” I opted to share a slightly amended recipe for Ina’s Chunky Banana Bran Muffins from Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You’ll Make Over and Over Again, which you can also find on the Food Network.
Let me begin by saying that I love bran muffins and have for as long as I can remember. So, for me these bran muffins were no exception. I loved them. They were moist, dense and flavorful with chunks of nuts, raisins, and banana. Both the flavors of orange zest and molasses really came through.
If you’re not crazy about bran or molasses, you’d probably be better off trying a different recipe. (I still like the old one from the back of the Kellogg’s bran cereal box too.)
I made a quarter batch of the recipe, enough batter for 6 muffins, and cut back on the chunky additions a bit to shave a few calories. According to my nutritional estimates, each chunky banana bran muffin has 225 calories. 3.7 g fiber and 6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
I enjoyed mine along with some yogurt and fruit for a tasty satisfying breakfast. The is definitely the kind of moist, dense, fiber-rich muffin that will keep you full for a while.
- ½ cup unprocesed bran
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup rasins, plumped in warm water and then drained well, if dry
- ½ cup large-diced bananas (1/2 large banana)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 6 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the bran and buttermilk and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in the butter, brown sugar, egg, molasses, orange zest, vanilla and salt until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the buttermilk mixture and stir just until combined. Don’t over mix it or your muffins will be tough! Gently fold in the bananas, raisins and walnuts with a rubber spatula.
- With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, evenly divide the batter amongst the six muffin cups, filling them till full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place the muffin tin on a rack to cool. Let the muffins cool in the pans. When cool, gently remove them to a plate.
See What Others are Cooking
Alyce @ More Time at the Table
Ansh @ Spice Roots
Barbara @ Moveable Feasts
Bhavna @ Just a Girl From AAmchi Mumbai
Chaya @ Bizzy Bakes
Linda @ There and Back Again
Minnie @ The Lady 8 Home
Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
Nancy @ My Picadillo
Veronica @ My Catholic Kitchen
Rocky Mountain Woman @ The Rocky Mountain Woman
Ria @ Ria’s Collection
The Contessa (Linda) @ The Tumbleweed Contessa