After several days indulging in a few too many sweet treats that included lemon coconut tea cake, chocolate egg nests, and Easter sugar cookies, my body is ready for a break from the sugar and a return to healthier, simpler fare.
A great place for me to focus getting back on track is with breakfast. A healthy breakfast helps set the momentum for a happy, healthy, balanced day.
So, I made a pot of this healthy toasted coconut banana quinoa breakfast pudding that I plan to eat all week. Appearing as a dessert recipe in 500 Best Quinoa Recipes: 100% Gluten-Free Super-Easy Superfood, this dish didn’t cut it as a “dessert” in my book. It tasted way too “healthy.” Not wanting to waste perfectly good food, I decided it would be fine as a healthy breakfast.
A great source of fiber, protein and carbs, a bowl of this toasted coconut banana quinoa breakfast pudding topped with fruit should keep me satisfied until lunch. I’ll keep things interesting by topping it with different fruits: sliced bananas, strawberries and maybe even chopped pineapple. A drizzle of honey and splash of coconut milk will work well too.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey or agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, (GF if needed)
- ½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed the water.
- Meanwhile in a blender combine the coconut milk, bananas, honey, ginger and salt and puree until smooth.
- Stir the banana mixture into the quinoa and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Transfer the quinoa mixture to a medium heatproof bowl and let cool to room temperature. Serve at room temperature or cover and refrigerate until cold. Serve as a healthy breakfast pudding sprinkled with toasted coconut.
- To toast coconut preheat your oven to 300 degress. Spread coconut out in a thin even layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant. Immediately transfer to a plate to prevent it from burning and let it cool completely.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Ideas