I got the idea for this apple, pear, cranberry crisp with gingersnap topping from this recipe for Joe’s Awesome Apple, Pear, Cranberry Pie with Gingersnap Topping over at Cookie Madness. Reading Anna’s description of this lovely tasting pie was my inspiration for coming up with a lighter, healthier more Weight Watchers Friendly variation.
So, I followed Anna’s lead and used this as an excuse to buy a box of gingersnaps, a crunchy spicy low fat cookie I forget how much I like until I taste one …
I decided to turn the pie, into a crisp, one of my all time favorite desserts. By skipping the crust and decreasing the amount of fat in the topping, I was able to create a tasty, sweet and tangy satisfying apple, pear and cranberry crisp with gingersnap topping with just 6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. And I love how the cranberries give the filling such a pretty rosy hue too. It’s excellent served warm with a little scoop of light vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, if you can afford the extra PointsPlus.
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 6 gingersnaps, crushed
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Preheat our oven to 375 degrees.
- Make the fruit filling:
- Place the apples, pears and cranberries in the baking pan. Sprinkle with the sugar stir to combine.
- Make the topping:
- In a small bowl blend together the oats, brown sugar, flour, crushed gingersnaps, butter and canola oil until crumbly.
- Spread the oat mixture over the apples, pears and cranberries.
- Bake until the apples and pears are tender and the topping is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Delicious when served warm with a small scoop of light vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Apple Dessert Recipes