This Weight Watchers meatloaf might just be my new favorite meat loaf!
It bakes up moist and delicious thanks to the addition of lots of finely chopped vegetables and turns out 4 very generous 6 PointsPlus Value servings.
And it works with the Simply Filling Technique.
What’s not to like?
I decided it was time to get back to basics last night and serve up some meat and potatoes.
Rod is a good sport about everything I cook and never complains. But he’s a midwest born-and-raised guy who prefers his food simple and straightforward.
Instead of going with what has become my standard meat loaf – the Paula Deen Meat Loaf recipe (which is tasty but has 9 PointsPlus), I wanted to try something new. After checking out a few options, I decided on this one from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
Chopping all the vegetables requires a little extra work, but I think it was worth it. (I find chopping kinda therapeutic, but you could always speed up the process by using a food chopper or processor.)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef (7% or less)
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons ketchup, plus more for brushing on top
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 4-1/2 x 8-1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer this mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the vegetables in the bowl and mix well. Press the meatloaf into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes. Brush additional ketchup on top of the loaf, if desired. Cook until done, an additional 30 to 45 minutes. (An instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf should read 160 F degrees.)
- Remove from the oven and let rest for about 5 minutes. Cut into 8 slices.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Meat Loaf Recipes