Peppery arugula, thinly sliced mushrooms, red onion and halved grape tomatoes tossed with a simple olive oil red wine vinegar dressing garnished with slivers of shaved Parmesan cheese. This is a great basic salad that complements so many dishes: pasta, pizza, sandwiches, soups, seafood, meats and more. It’s become a personal favorite here at our house since being featured in the Weight Watchers Weekly back in August (8/26-9/1/12).
(I made the salad and snapped a picture before adding the dressing a couple of hours before dinner while there was still enough light to get a decent shot.)
Loaded with Weight Watchers Power Foods, this Italian Arugula salad is a delicious way to boost your vegetable intake at lunch or dinner for minimal PointsPlus. To turn this salad into a heartier main dish meal you could add some chicken, tuna, salmon and/or chick peas.
I love the peppery taste of arugula, but if you don’t you could always use baby spinach or mesclun instead. A few sliced black olives make a tasty addition too.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups thinly sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup sliced black olives (optional)
- 1 ounce Parmesan Cheese, preferably Parmigiano Reggiano, at room temperature
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, water, olive oil, salt and pepper until well blended.
- In a large bowl combine the arugula, sliced mushrooms, grape tomato halves, sliced onions, and olives if using.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad a little at a time, tossing well to coat everything with the dressing. (You may need less dressing than you have, especially if you prefer your salads lightly dressed.)
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave very thin slices of Parmesan on top of the salad and serve immediately.
- Top with
Weight Watchers Friendly Salad Recipes
Skinny Chopped Greek Salad
Warm Goat Cheese and Fig Salad
Simple French Shredded Carrot Salad
Mixed Greens Strawberry Salad with Chicken, Goat Cheese & Avocado
Simple Mixed Greens Salad with Dates and Goat Cheese
Mesclun Salad with Pears and Blue Cheese
Arugula Salad with Penne, Garbanzo Beans and Sun Dried Tomatoes (SkinnyTaste)
Santa Fe Salad with Chili-Lime Dressing (Weight Watchers)
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.