Here’s a fresh and crispy take on coleslaw perfect for fall. Featured in the 10/21-10/27/12 Weight Watchers Weekly, its flavors and textures are a delicious combination of tangy, sweet and crunchy.
I usually don’t think about coleslaw much after the end of summer barbecue season. But seeing this recipe caused me to reconsider. Brimming with ingredients I love – apples, dried cranberries and walnuts – the recipe virtually shouted at me to make it, which I did recently. It was the perfect accompaniment to grilled turkey burgers, but would also go well with chicken, pork or fish.
I made several changes to the recipe mostly to save time and money. I substituted olive oil for the walnut oil specified. Canola oil would also work well. (Walnut oil is lovely, but expensive and I don’t use it enough to justify keeping it around.) And I used pre-shredded green cabbage from Trader Joe’s to save time and scallions instead of shallots, since they were in the fridge.
This is definitely the kind of recipe that works well with additions, subtractions and substitutions.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil (I used olive oil)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded fresh savoy or Napa cabbage (I used shredded green cabbage)
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh jicama
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and coarsely grated
- 2 medium shallots minced or finely grated (I used chopped scallion)
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the honey, vinegar, oil and salt.
- Add the shredded cabbage, jicama, apples, shallots, cranberries, and walnuts. Season to taste with pepper.
Here are a few more Weight Watchers Slaw recipes you might enjoy…
My post and recipe for Quick and Easy Asian Slaw with Pineapple using a bag of shredded coleslaw mix and bottled low-fat Asian Ginger dressing
Asian Peanut Slaw with cilantro and jalapeno (Slender Kitchen)
Citrus Asian Slaw (Weight Watchers)
Crunchy and colorful Asian Cabbage Mango Slaw with sesame seeds (SkinnyTaste)