Banana bran chocolate chip bread. A wholesome tasty banana bread filled with lots of good-for-you ingredients including bran, whole wheat flour, bananas, yogurt, chocolate chips and coconut.
Banana bread is one of my favorite things so I’m always experimenting with different recipes and flavor combinations.
This one is slightly adapted from a muffin recipe in 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites, a wonderful cookbook for muffin lovers from the talented Camilla Saulsbury.
(Since reading several years ago that quick bread and muffin recipes are virtually the same and interchangeable, I’ve been having fun mixing things up.)
This not-too-sweet banana bran chocolate chip bread baked up moist and delicious. Using mini chocolate chips helps insure you get a taste of chocolate in every bite. Adding the coconut was my idea. I love it’s chewy sweetness. But you could always leave it out if you prefer.
- 1-1/2 cups natural bran
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups bananas
- ¾ cup low fat plain yogurt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup coconut
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a loaf pan (9x5-inch) with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the bran, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a blender process the brown sugar, egg, bananas, yogurt, oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Gently stir in the chocolate chips and coconut.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Then carefully transfer the loaf to the wire rack to cool completely.
Source 750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites
If you liked this recipe for banana bran chocolate chip bread you might also like:
- Skinny Oatmeal Banana Bread & Muffin Recipes
- Healthy Low Fat Banana Nut Bread
- Low Fat Banana Bread with Dates and Apricots
- Skinny Easy Healthy Banana Coconut Date Muffins
- Healthy Apple Pecan Muffins
*PointsPlus® for this banana bran chocolate chip bread calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.