Looking for an easy Weight Watchers friendly vegetarian pasta recipe?
I hope you’ll give this Easy Cheese Tortellini with Broccoli and Red Peppers a try.
It’s adapted from a recipe in Vegetarian Classics: 300 Essential and Easy Recipes for Every Meal by Jeanne Lemlin, a Massachusetts based vegetarian cookbook writer and cooking instructor, who described it as a staple in her house because it is quick, tasty and uses just a few simple ingredients that are unsually in her refrigerator.
Her recipe as written calls for frozen ravioli, but I prefer fresh tortellini so used it instead.
I also added some thinly sliced mushrooms that were sitting around in the fridge.
I enjoyed this easy cheese tortellini with broccoli and red peppers for for dinner one night and the leftovers for lunch the next day.
This is an easy, healthy and delicious vegetarian pasta recipe that’s going in my regular rotation.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin 2-inch strips
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound fresh cheese tortellini
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or ½ teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the red pepper and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until the pepper is very soft, about 10 minutes. Keep warm over low heat.
- Add a large handful of salt to the boiling water and then drop in the tortellini. Cook according to the the package instructions, adding in the broccoli florets about 3 minutes before the pasta is finished cooking.
- Reserve ½ cup pasta water and when the pasta and broccoli are tender, drain them thoroughly in a colander and then return them to the pot.
- Carefully stir in the red pepper mixture, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, reserved pasta water, basil and salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Source Vegetarian Classics: 300 Essential and Easy Recipes for Every Meal
If you liked easy cheese tortellini with broccoli and red peppers you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for easy cheese tortellini with broccoli and red peppers calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!