2 Ingredient chocolate pumpkin muffins, mini muffins, and cookies made with just chocolate cake mix and can of pumpkin are a lighter and healthier way to satisfy a sweet tooth.
I owe this post to a sweet lady who recently asked how many PointsPlus values there were in muffins made from cake mix and canned pumpkin.
I had no idea and suggested she could use her PointsPlus calculator to figure it out from the nutritional labels on the two ingredients and/or do a Google search.
But the question piqued my curiosity and sent me off on a search of my own.
The Skinny on 2 Ingredient Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins and Cookies
Turns out Hungry Girl calls her 2-ingredient chocolate pumpkin muffins (with a PointsPlus value of 5) Yum Yum Brownie Muffins.
I also stumbled upon a recipe for turning the two ingredients into cookies in Camilla Saulsbury’s fun cookbook The Ultimate Cake Mix Cookie Book: More Than 375 Delectable Cookie Recipes That Begin with a Box of Cake Mix.
So I decided to stir the two ingredients together and make a few muffins, mini muffins and cookies from it.
It was a fun successful experiment. Everything turned out tasty. The muffins and mini muffins were moist and not-too-sweet. I added a few mini chocolate chips to the remaining batter used to make the cookies, giving them a richer flavor. My guys thought they were all good but liked the cookies best
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 18.25 ounces chocolate cake mix
- ⅔ cups mini semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Makes 12 regular or 36 mini muffins or 36 cookies.
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven.
- For muffins, preheat the oven to 400 F degrees and line 12 muffin cups or 36 mini muffin cups with paper liners or coat them with non-stick spray.
- For cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or coat with non-stick spray.
- Make the batter in a large bowl by mix just the two ingredients together, ignoring the instructions on the cake mix. This will take some effort and the mixture will be very very thick! Stir in the mini semisweet chocolate chips, if using.
- For muffins, place batter into the prepared (or mini muffin) tins Bake at 400 degrees until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes for muffins and 12 minutes for the mini-muffins.
- For cookies, Drop by tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until the edges are firm and the centers are just barely set when lightly touched. Remove from the oven and cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheets and then transfer the cookies with a spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutritional Estimates Cookies (1 cookie): 66 calories, 2.3 g fat, 11.4 g carbs, 0.7 g fiber, 1.0 g protein and 2 WW PointsPlus
*PointsPlus® for 2 Ingredient chocolate pumpkin muffins and cookies calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked 2 Ingredient Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins & Cookies you might also like: