Spinach, sliced mushrooms, fresh orange sections, and a bit of sliced red onion, tossed with a zippy lime, sesame ginger vinaigrette dressing. Delicious anytime, this colorful, light and refreshing salad is especially terrific this time of year, as the temperatures begin to soar here in Phoenix.
I’ve been a huge spinach salad fan for decades, but the traditional kind – with generous amounts of bacon, cheese, and chopped hard-boiled eggs – while delicious, is not something I want to eat that often anymore. My tastes have changed. I prefer lighter salads that are full of flavor and texture without all the fat and calories.
This orange citrus spinach salad fits the bill perfectly. We enjoyed it recently for dinner with simple grilled turkey burgers. Each generous 1-2/3 cup serving, with just 3 PointsPlus, is a tasty way to boost your intake of of vitamin and mineral-rich fruits and vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon grated lime zest
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium naval oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, sesame seeds, sugar, lime zest and ground ginger.
- In a large salad bowl combine the spinach, oranges, mushrooms, and onion.
- Just before serving, give the dressing another whisk to combine the ingredients and drizzle it over the salad. Toss the salad until it’s coated with the dressing.
- Serve immediately.
If you liked this recipe and post for citrus spinach salad, check out these links:
- My post and recipe for mixed greens and strawberry salad with chicken, goat cheese & avocado
- My post on 23 Weight Watchers Friendly ways to increase your fruit and vegetable intake
- My post and recipe for Ina Garten’s Avocado and Grapefruit Salad Makeover
- Cooking Light’s Spinach Salad with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette (My Recipes)
- Weight Watchers Spinach Salad with Pears, Almonds, and Cranberries Recipe (WeightWatchers)
- Grilled Chicken and Spinach Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe (SkinnyTaste)
- The cookbook Taste of Home: Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: New Quick & Easy Favorites: Slim Down with 427 Satisfying Recipes! full of tasty, healthy family-friendly recipes, like this one for citrus spinach salad