As soon as I saw this recipe for Easiest-Ever Peanut Butter Cookies, in the most recent issue of Woman’s Day, I knew I had to give them a try.
What got my attention? Well, first the name – I’m all about easy, so “Easiest Ever” always piques my interest.
These quick and easy flourless cookies, have only 4 ingredients…
Then there was their size – little button-sized cookies with just 33 calories – perfect for Weight Watchers sized sweet treats!
(Actually, when compared to the cookies we ate a few decades ago, they’re normal sized – about 1 to 1-1/2 inches.
It’s just that they look small when compared to the giant cookies, now 3 to 4 times bigger, that you see everywhere these days.
If you’re interested in learning more about how portions have exploded check out The Portion Teller: Smartsize Your Way to Permanent Weight Loss by Lisa Young. In it she explains how portions are enormous compared to what the government defines as a standard serving size and also when compared to what Americans ate thirty years ago. I found it fascinating.)
Finally, they’re made with peanut butter, one of my favorite foods.
My intuition was right. This is a winning cookie recipe, making a small batch of
little normal-size cookies, perfect for sharing or packing in little pre-portioned zipper bags for the freezer.
They are not too soft, not too sweet, simple and adorable.
I used a tiny little cookie scoop and got 48 cookies, instead of 60, so will make them even smaller next time.
I made half the batch plain and added a few miniature chocolate chips to the remaining half, to give them polka-dots!
Next time I plan on adding a few finely chopped peanuts for added crunch.
- 1 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- Position an oven rack in the center of your oven and then preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, brown sugar, egg, and baking soda together with an electric mixer on medium until well blended.
- Drop level teaspoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 1-1/2 inches apart. (This is a little amount since you want enough for 60 cookies)
- Bake until the cookies are puffed and starting to lightly brown around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheets placed on wire cooling racks for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cookies directly to the wire racks to cool completely.
I used a tiny little ice cream scoop and then flattened the cookie mounds down a bit before baking. I ended up with 48 little cookies and will make them even smaller next time.
Next time I will add a small amount of finely chopped peanuts for extra crunch. You could get the same effect by using crunchy peanut butter.
*PointsPlus® for calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked this post and recipe for Easy 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies, check out these links:
My post and recipe for caramel chocolate mini cookie bars with 2 PointsPlus value
My post and recipe for skinny M&M cookies that everyone loves
A recipe for creamy peanut butter dip that uses chick peas and honey (Weight Watchers)
A recipe for skinny no-bake peanut butter pie (SkinnyTaste)
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!