When you are trying to lose weight, it’s tempting to try to see how long you can go without eating.
But, it’s really not a great idea since there are so many ways it can backfire on you.
Going too long between meals can make you tired and cranky. (It sure does me, anyway.)
It can also work against your weight loss efforts if you end up overeating later.
What’s the point of starving yourself all day if you end up eating a whole day’s calories and more from dinner through bedtime?
That’s where healthy snacks come in. I’m not talking about mindless munching on junk. The key is to be strategic with your snacking.
When you are really hungry, the right kinds of snacks can give you the stamina to power through your day and lose weight, instead of getting caught in the chocolate and caffeine trap. (Or even worse, the starve and binge cycle.)
3 Basic Rules for Healthy Snacking
- Never snack if you are not hungry.
- Include some protein in your snacks. Protein keeps you feeling fuller longer than fat or carbs.
- Choose real foods, not highly processed manufactured snack packs.
Here are some healthy snacks that will help you you feel energized and satisfied for hours. All have no more than 6 WW PointsPlus Value; most with just 2 to 3 WW Points+. By keeping a few of these easy healthy snack options around, you’ll avoid falling victim to the vending machine or convenience mart danger zones.
24 Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss with Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values
- Apple slices with 1 tablespoon peanut butter (3 WW Points+)
- One-half cup nonfat cottage cheese and a piece of fruit (1 WW Points+)
- One-half cup baby carrots and 2 tablespoons hummus (2 WW Points+)
- A cup of broth based vegetable soup and 4 whole grain crackers (2 WW Points+)
- A hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit (2 WW Points+)
- Half an English muffin with 1 tablespoon pasta sauce and 1 ounce low-fat mozzarella cheese baked till bubbly (4 WW Points+)
- Six whole grain crackers and 1/3 cup water packed tuna, drained (4 WW Points+)
- Twelve whole almonds and 6 dried apricot halves (3 WW Points+)
- A slice of whole wheat bread with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and banana slices (5 WW Points+)
- A medium apple or pear with 1 stick of string cheese (2 WW Points+)
- Three ounces turkey and sliced tomato on 1 slice whole-wheat bread (4 WW Points+)
- One-half cup nonfat Greek yogurt and 1 cup fresh strawberries with drizzle of honey (2 WW Points+)
- An ounce of pretzels with 1 tablespoon peanut butter (6 WW Points+)
- Ten baked low-fat tortilla chips and 1/3 cup fat free black bean dip (4 WW Points+)
- One ounce of reduced fat cheese and 4 whole-grain crackers (4 WW Points+)
- Two stalks of celery with 1 tablespoon peanut butter (3 WW Points+)
- Six ounces vegetable juice and 1/8 cup mixed nuts (4 WW Points+)
- One Laughing Cow Light Garlic & Herb wedge spread on cucumber slices (1 WW Points+)
- One-half cup fat-free Greek yogurt with 1-1/2 tablespoons all-fruit spread (2 WW Points+)
- Two slices white meat turkey rolled in 2 lettuce leaves (2 WW Points+)
- Three cups light butter flavored popcorn (3 WW Points+)
- One cup blueberries with 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt and drizzle of maple syrup (2 WW Points+)
- One-half cup nonfat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup crushed pineapple in juice (2 WW Points+)
- An ounce of dark chocolate and a small decaf non-fat cappuccino (5 WW Points+)
More Ideas for Healthy Eating & Snacking:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.