Hearty, full-flavored soup with beef, onions, and mushrooms in a rich beef broth that is stress-free to prepare.
Delicious topped with Cheesy toasted French bread. It was a big hit when I served it for dinner last night.
I love using the slow cooker to make hearty main dish soups like this.
Just a few minutes of work early in the day, allows us to enjoy a quick and easy dinner that’s ready and waiting when we are.
Softening the onions and browning the meat and mushrooms in a skillet before tossing it into the slow really adds a lot of flavor to this soup so I think it’s worth the extra effort.
Enjoying French onion soup at home became so much easier when I learned the secret of making the toasted cheesy bread separately and then floating it on top of the soup instead of attempting to broil it all together in the oven too.
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions (about 2 medium onions)
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) beef consomme
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons, dry sherry (optional)
- 5 slices French bread
- ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat swiss cheese
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add the meat, mushrooms, garlic, and brown sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned and mushrooms tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the onion and meat mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add the broth, consomme, and water and stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.
- Add the soy sauce and sherry and cook for 5 more minutes.
- When ready to serve, toast the bread. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and broil until melted.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls; then float a slice of the broiled cheesy bread on top of each serving of soup.
Lightened Up Easy Slow Cooker Beef & Mushrooms – easy, hearty and delicious with 5 WW PointsPlus Value
Hearty Beef & Vegetable Slow Cooker Soup Recipe – Easy and delicious with just 5 WW PointsPlus Value
Healthy Vegetable, Beef, Mushroom & Barley Soup Recipe – for the slow cooker with 7 WW PointsPlus Value