Skinny Potato Leek Soup.
Leeks, potatoes, onions, carrots and celery cooked in broth until tender.
This skinny potato leek soup is made without butter or cream so it’s hearty and healthy and low in Weight Watchers points.
While usually eaten hot, Jamie Oliver claims that “it’s also surprisingly delicious eaten cold on a summer’s day with a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of natural yogurt” in his book, Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals
It’s wonderful hot on a chilly day.
I’m looking forward to trying this skinny potato leek soup chilled this summer when the thermometer begins to soar here in Phoenix.
If you’ve never eaten or cooked leeks, I encourage you to give them a try.
They have a wonderful mild, sweet, distinctive oniony flavor.
If you’ve never prepared leeks, there’s a helpful instructional video from the Gourmet Magazine Test Kitchen at the end of the post.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 pound leeks (3 - 4 large, white and pale green parts only), quartered lengthwise and cut into ¼-inch slices*
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth, preferably organic
- 1 pound potatoes (3 to 4 medium), peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put a large saucepan on medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and leeks and stir them together with a wooden spoon.
- Partially cover the pot with the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape and the onions and leeks are lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth and potatoes to the vegetables in the pot, give everything a stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is or use a blender to puree until creamy.
Here’s a great video on preparing leeks from the Gourmet Magazine Test Kitchen:
If you liked this skinny potato leek soup, you might also like:
Jamie Oliver Spring Vegetable and Bean Soup Recipe – another delicious soup with 4 WW PointsPlus Value from Jamie Oliver
Slim & Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup – rich, creamy and delicious with a 7 WW PointsPlus Value
Zucchini Soup Recipes – easy, healthy and delicious recipes for zucchini soup
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.