Crispy on the outside. Soft & chewy on the inside. Bursting with raspberry flavor. Perfectly pink for Valentine’s Day. These skinny raspberry meringue kisses are low in calories and fat too.
When it comes to low- or non-fat baking, some people (especially serious bakers and chefs) don’t like to use the typical tricks – like substituting applesauce for butter – because the results don’t live up to their high taste expectations. They prefer to make recipes that are naturally low in fat – like these meringue cookies – for example.
I discovered this fun recipe in a delightful little book – Cookie Swap! by cookbook author and former professional pastry chef, Lauren Chattman.
According to Lauren, the recipe uses raspberry gelatin to give the cookies their beautiful pink color and also to help stabilize the egg whites to keep the meringues as light and airy as possible.
Each cookie has just 16 calories and 0 g of fat making them a 0 PointsPlus Value treat, but DO NOT delude yourself into thinking you can eat a batch for 0 PointsPlus! Each 3 cookie serving has 1 PointsPlus value; Each 5 cookie serving 2 PointsPlus value.
These meringues are super simple to make and a lot of fun to eat. If you’ve never made meringues, before, I’ve included a helpful video from MyRecipes at the end of the post. Enjoy!
- 3 large egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin (such as Jell-O)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Position one oven rack in the top third of the oven and the other rack on the bottom third of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and salt with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, until frothy, about 30 seconds.
- Turn the mixer speed to high and pour in the gelatin and then the sugar in a slow, steady stream.
- Continue to beat until the egg whites are stiff and shiny about 5 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the vanilla.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the meringue spaced about 1-1/2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the meringues until the are firm on the outside but still soft on the inside, about 30 minutes. (Or if you prefer crisper cookies, bake them for about 40 minutes.)
- Slide the sheets of parchment with the cookies on them to wire racks to cool for about 5 minutes, then carefully peel the meringues from the parchment.
- These Raspberry Meringue Kisses will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week.
Making Meringue Kiss Cookies Video from MyRecipes:
Raspberry Jam Bars – Old-fashioned bar cookies with 4 WW PointsPlus Value
Skinny Raspberry Squares – like little linzer bars without a top crust with just 3 WW PointsPlus Value
Skinny Triple Berry Cobbler – Super simple and delicious cobbler with 5 WW PointsPlus Value