I’m in love with this recipe for soft & chewy low fat m&m cookies. I think you are going to love them too.
The only danger is that it’s hard to stop with just one so be ready to share them with friends or stash them in the freezer.
Since they are a favorite, I’m always experimenting with ways to make cookies healthier and sometimes it pays off.
This recipe for low fat m&M cookies is adapted from the recipe for chocolate chip cookies that appears in the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook.
I made several changes that really seemed to work.
The cookies turned out chewy, soft and sweet with just a bit of chocolate from a scattering of m&m’s. I shared them with the family, without mentioning they were skinny and/or healthy, and everyone loved them.
I made half the batch of low fat m&m cookies with leftover Valentine m&ms and half with the spring bunny mix m&ms perfect for Easter. Next time I’d like to make them with M&m minis. With so many m&ms to choose from, you can modify these cookies for every holiday season!
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (3 ounces) candy coated milk chocolate pieces, such as M&Ms
- Put the oats in a food processor or blender and process until finely ground.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, sugar, egg, applesauce and applesauce with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture, beating just until blended.
- Cover the mixture and chill for 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake the cookies, place rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray or line them with parchment paper.
- Arrange dough by heaping teaspoonfuls spaced 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets, making a total of 24 cookies.
- With lightly floured finger tips, press each mound of cookie dough to form 2-inch cookies.
- Press 4 to 5 M&Ms into each cookie.
- Bake, one cookie sheet at a time in the center of the oven, until cookies are lightly browned around the edges, 9 to 11 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookie cool on the cookie sheet for about 2 minutes. With a spatula, transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
If you liked soft chewy low fat m&m cookies, you might also like:
2012 Girl Scout Cookie Nutrition Information & Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values
Wheaties Coconut Cookies Recipe – with 2 WW PointsPlus Value
Moist & Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars Recipe – easy & delicious with 3 WW PointsPlus Value
Healthy Banana Cookies with Oats & Chocolate Chips Recipe – each large vegan friendly cookie has 4 WW PointsPlus
Best Ever Cookie Collection (My Cookie Website)
*PointsPlus® for these low fat m&m cookies calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.