I love soup.
Steamy. Nourishing. Satisfying. Tasty.
Low in calories.
What’s not to love?
And after days and weeks of over-indulging, my body is craving light simple food.
Soup is a wonderful solution.
A steamy bowl of soup, like this chicken vegetable rice soup, for lunch or dinner is the perfect way to lighten up after holidays and vacations.
There are lots of ready-made soups available these days that taste pretty good. But nothing compares to homemade.
This delicious chicken vegetable rice soup recipe is a hybrid of two of my favorite soup recipes – one from Jamie’s Food Revolution Cookbook and the Meal-in-a-Bowl Soup from The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great.
It’s brimming with simple good-for-you ingredients. I’m always amazed that something so simple can taste so delicious.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 cups cauliflower
- ⅓ cup long grain white rice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place the chicken broth and diced tomatoes in a saucepan and heat until boiling.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and stir them together with a wooden spoon. Cook for around 10 minutes, partially covered, until the onion is golden and carrot has begun to soften.
- Add the basil and thyme and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the cooked chicken or turkey, broccoli, cauliflower, rice and boiling broth mixture. Give the soup a stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables and rice are tender, 15 to 20 minute
- Turn off the heat. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
If you liked chicken vegetable rice soup you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for chicken vegetable rice soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.