Are you looking for easy healthy chicken recipes for the slow cooker?
Here’s one for your files.
I made this Southwestern slow cooker chicken with corn, black beans and salsa dish earlier this week for dinner and everyone loved it.
I loved how easy it was to prepare.
This light and healthy recipe jumped out at me, from the first few pages of one of my most recent cookbook finds – Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: 600 Healthy Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker, as I was scanning for a quick and easy way to use the package of chicken breasts sitting in the fridge.
With just 6 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep time, it’s a great quick and easy dinner solution for busy days. I adapted the recipe slightly, adding some Pampered Chef Southwest Seasoning Mix to the chicken before adding it to the pot. (I think its’ really important to season your meat or chicken – even if it’s just with a little salt and pepper – before cooking it – especially in the slow cooker.)
This skinny southwestern slow cooker chicken is great served with rice and a simple tossed green salad. And I think if you use nonfat cheese, it works for Simply Filling.
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa, divided
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 to 5 ounces each)
- Southwest seasoning blend (optional)
- 1 cup low-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Combine the corn, black beans and ½ cup salsa in a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Season the chicken with Southwest seasoning blend or salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker.
- Top with the remaining salsa.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 5 minutes more or until cheese melts.
This makes a generous serving. To shave a couple of WW points, eat a smaller portion, which is what I did.
To prevent your chicken from drying out, you’ll want to check for doneness. Many of today’s slow cookers are much hotter than they used to be. My chicken was done in about 3.5 hours on low!
If you liked skinny southwestern slow cooker chicken you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for southwestern slow cooker chicken calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.