Are you looking for a healthy version of chicken marsala that’s low in fat and high in flavor? If you like chicken marsala, I think you’re going to love this slimmed down version. It’s simple, healthy and delicious! (But don’t tell anyone it’s better for them. Let it be your little secret and no one will be the wiser!)
I’m always on the lookout for tasty healthy ways to prepare boneless skinless chicken breasts – one of my favorite go to ingredients. And this dish certainly fits the bill. It’s great when you want a gourmet style dinner that can be ready in 30 minutes or less.
As soon as I spotted it in my Weight Watchers Comfort Classics : 150 Favorite Home-Style Dishes cookbook, I thought it would be a winner. And I was right! But as with most recipes, I made a few changes based on the ingredients I had on hand.
We enjoyed this great easy chicken marsala last night with skinny buttermilk mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach. Everyone loved it.
- 4 (5 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry Marsala wine
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even ½-inch thickness and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt, ¼ teaspoon of the dried thyme and the pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken (but don’t overcrowd the pan) and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms and remaining salt and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring often until the shallots start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the marsala and broth and cook until the sauce thickens a little, about 1 minute. Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 more minutes.