Here’s a satisfying healthy cream of broccoli cheese soup that’s just as delicious at it is nutritious.
Filling enough to be a main course, especially when served with some whole grain bread and/or a salad, this healthy cream of broccoli cheese soup was a big hit here.
It’s super thick and creamy.
Brimming with broccoli, potatoes and cheese and pureed until smooth.
A simple one-pot meal that can be ready in about 30 minutes that your whole family will love.
I make easy healthy soups for dinner on a regular basis. They’re nourishing without being too filling. And such a delectable easy way to boost your daily dose of vegetables too.
Even people who don’t like broccoli will like this healthy cream of broccoli cheese soup – making it a great way to get all of broccoli’s health benefits in a bowl. (It’s naturally low in calories and a great source of vitamins, minerals and fiber.)
I read recently that the French have soup for supper quite often – another French weight loss secret worth copying – I think.
You can serve this savory soup with a sprinkling of shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, a dollop of yogurt and/or a sprinkling of sliced scallions or chopped basil.
For a quick and easy lunch or dinner on the go, why not make a big batch and then freeze it in individual portions that you can microwave as needed?
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 small all-purpose potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups skim milk
- ¾ cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Spray a large nonstick soup pot or Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, potatoes, carrot, broth and basil. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil then turn the heat to low and simmer, with the pot covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. (Or use a stick blender to puree the vegetables right in the pot.)
- Pour the puree back into the soup pot. Add the milk and stir occasionally until heated through.
- Remove pan from the heat and let cool for about 1 minute. Add the cheese and stir until it’s melted. Adjust salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
If you liked this Healthy Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup, Here Are a Few More Healthy Broccoli Soup Recipes
If you liked this healthy cream of broccoli cheese soup you might also like:
Curried Zucchini Soup - a simple soup that is surprisingly good
Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup – A simple basic cream of vegetable soup that can be modified lots of ways
Jamie Oliver Vegetable Soup with Beans – One of the best vegetable soups I’ve ever tasted
Skinny Potato & Leek Soup – easy, healthy and delicious with 4 WW PointsPlus Value
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.