If you like classic comfort food, I hope you’ll try this slow cooker Italian Pot Roast.
I’m a big fan of classic comfort food.
It’s may favorite kind of food.
This delicious slow cooker Italian pot roast is a great example.
It gets its wonderful Italian flavor from simmering for hours in red wine and tomato sauce until it’s fork tender.
This luscious slow cooker Italian pot roast is perfect served over slimmed down parmesan mashed potatoes, but it also would be great with pasta or polenta.
I found the recipe in Perfect Party Food: All the Recipes and Tips You’ll Ever Need for Stress-Free Entertaining from the Diva of Do-Ahead, Diane Phillips, and modified it only slightly. (This is a wonderful cookbook full of great easy do ahead recipes I’ve used lots of times.)
The key to keeping this slow cooker Italian pot roast lighter and healthier is using an eye of the round roast, which is very lean. And since there no bones and virtually no fat, it keeps it’s shape during the long slow cooking.
The sauce is then loaded with lots of healthy low calorie vegetables including onions, garlic, carrots, celery and tomatoes.
When I made this delicious homestyle pot roast recently everyone raved about it.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 pound Eye Round Roast
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dired rosemary
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- Sprinkle the garlic, salt and pepper over the roast and rub them in.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the roast and brown on all sides, cooking 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the roast from the skillet and place it in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and rosemary to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened and the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and tomatoes, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato mixture and beef broth to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low until the meat is tender, 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and place it on a platter or cutting board and loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
- If you want a thicker, more concentrated sauce, transfer it to a saucepan and bring it to a boil and then lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Skim off any fat the accumulates on top of the sauce.
Source: Slightly adapted from Perfect Party Food: All the Recipes and Tips You’ll Ever Need for Stress-Free Entertaining from the Diva of Do-Ahead
Serving Suggestions for this Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast from the book’s author:
Thinly slice the beef and arrange it around the outside of a serving platter. Fill the center of the platter with mashed potatoes, pasta or polenta. Spoon some of the sauce over them and then spoon a bit more of the sauce over the meat. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Arrange thin slices of beef around the outside of a platter. Fill the center of the platter with a green vegetable such as sauteed spinach, steamed green beans, roasted broccoli or roasted asparagus. Spoon a little bit of sauce over the meat and serve the rest on the side